- •Estimating kidney function is key in medication dosing for kidney patients.
- •Clinical assessment plus estimating equations needed for accurate dosing.
- •Inappropriate dosing in kidney patients causes harm.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
National Kidney Foundation. The facts about chronic kidney disease (CKD). 2017. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/about-chronic-kidney-disease/. Accessed April 14, 2017.
- 2014 USRDS annual data report: Epidemiology of Kidney Disease in the United States.National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, Md2014
- Assessment of adherence to renal dosing guidelines in long-term care facilities.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 1471-1473
- Compliance with dosing guidelines in patients with chronic kidney disease.Ann Pharmacother. 2004; 38: 853-858
- Evaluation of kidney function.in: DiPiro J.T. Talbert R.L. Yee G.C. Matzke G.R. Wells B.G. Posey L. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach. 10th ed. McGraw-Hill, New York2017
- Prediction of creatinine clearance from serum creatinine.Nephron. 1976; 16: 31-41
- A more accurate method to estimate glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine: a new prediction equation. Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study Group.Ann Intern Med. 1999; 130: 461-470
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- Comparison of the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease and Cockcroft-Gault equations for dosing antimicrobials.Pharmacotherapy. 2009; 29: 649-655
- Evaluation of the chronic kidney disease epidemiology collaboration equation for dosing antimicrobials.Ann Pharmacother. 2010; 44: 439-446
- A systematic comparison of Cockcroft-Gault and modification of diet in renal disease equations for classification of kidney dysfunction and dosage adjustment.Ann Pharmacother. 2012; 46: 1174-1187
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate leads to higher drug dose recommendations in the elderly compared with creatinine clearance.Int J Clin Pract. 2015; 69: 313-320
- Comparative Evaluation of the Cockcroft-Gault equation and the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) study equation for drug dosing: an opinion of the Nephrology Practice and Research Network of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy.Pharmacotherapy. 2011; 31: 1130-1144
- Trimethoprim-suflamethoxazole-induced hyperkalemia in patients receiving inhibitors of the renin-angiotensin system: a population-based study.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1045-1049
- Acute kidney injury associated with trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012; 67: 1271-1277
- The 10 most popular prescription drugs in the US.Business Insider. October 26, 2016; (Accessed May 31, 2017)http://www.businessinsider.com/popular-prescription-drugs-us-2016-10/#10-norvasc-amlodipine-used-to-treat-high-blood-pressure-7-1/
- Management of dabigatran-associated bleeding with two doses of idarucizumab plus hemodialysis.Pharmacotherapy. 2016; 36: e160-e165
Pradaxa [package insert]. Ridgefield, Conn: Boehringer Ingelheim Pharamaceuticals. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/022512s007lbl.pdf/. Accessed May 4, 2017.
- Use of direct oral anticoagulants for the prevention and treatment of thromboembolic disease in patients with reduced renal function: a short review of the clinical evidence.Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2017; 13: 447-454
- Gabapentin toxicity in renal failure: the importance of dose adjustment.Pain Med. 2009; 10: 190-192
- Gabapentin toxicity in patients with chronic kidney disease: a preventable cause of morbidity.Am J Med. 2010; 123: 367-373
- Myoclonus in renal failure: two cases of gabapentin toxicity.Epilepsy Behav Case Rep. 2014; 2: 8-10
- A fatal case of triple whammy in an elderly patient.J Gerontol Geriatr Res. 2015; 4: 204
- More on the “Triple Whammy”: antihypertensive drugs, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agnets and acute kidney injury—a case/non-case study in the French pharmacovigilance database.Renal Fail. 2014; 36: 1166-1168
- Concurrent use of diuretics, antiogensin converting enzyme inhibitors, and antiotensin receptor blockers with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of acute kidney injury: nested case-control study.BMJ. 2013; 346: e8525
- Biopsy-proven acute interstitial nephritis, 1993-2011: a case series.Am J Kidney Dis. 2014; 64: 558-566
Bactrim [package insert]. Philadelphia: Mutual Pharmaceuticals. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2013/017377s068s073lbl.pdf/. Accessed May 1, 2017.
KEFLEX [package insert]. Florham Park, NJ: Shionogi, Inc. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2015/050405s106lbl.pdf/. Accessed May 1, 2017.
CIPRO [package insert]. Wayne, NJ: Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2008/019537s68, 19847s42, 19857s49, 20780s26, 21473s24lbl.pdf/. Accessed May 1, 2017.
Xarelto [package insert]. Titusville, NJ: Janssen Pharmaeuticals. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/202439s001lbl.pdf/. Accessed May 4, 2017.
Eliquis [package insert]. Princeton, NJ: Bristol-Myers Squibb. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/202155s000lbl.pdf/. Accessed May 4, 2017.
Savaysa [package insert]. Parsippany, NJ: Daiichi Sankyo. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2015/206316lbl.pdf/. Accessed May 4, 2017.
Neurontin [package insert]. New York: Parke-Davis. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/020235s041, 020882s028, 021129s027lbl.pdf/. Accessed May 5, 2017.
Gabapentin. Lexi-Drugs. Lexicomp. Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. Riverwoods, Ill. http://online.lexi.com. Accessed May 5, 2017.
Lyrica [package insert]. Vega Baja, PR: Pfizer Pharmaceuticals. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/021446s026, 022488s005lbl.pdf/. Accessed May 5, 2017.
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.