- •Hansen disease (HD) still occurs globally, including in the United States.
- •Antimicrobial therapy is available and effective in the treatment of HD.
- •Nurse practitioners should include HD in the differential diagnosis.
- •National resources are available to assist in the diagnosis and management of HD.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Leprosy in the 21st century.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2015; 28: 80-94https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.00079-13
World Health Organization (WHO). Working to overcome the global impact of neglected tropical diseases: first WHO report on neglected tropical diseases. http://www.who.int/neglected_diseases/2010report/en/. Updated 2010. Accessed April 18, 2017.
WHO. Leprosy; fact sheet. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs101/en/. Updated 2017. Accessed April 18, 2017.
- A comparative study of the quality of life, knowledge and belief about leprosy disease among leprosy patients and community members in Shantivan Leprosy Rehabilitation centre, Nere, Maharashtra, India.J Glob Infect Dis. 2011; 3: 378-382https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-777X.91063
WHO. Leprosy elimination. http://www.who.int/lep/in_vitro/en. Updated 2016. Accessed April 18, 2017.
Health Resources and Services Administration. Hansen’s disease data and statistics. http://www.hrsa.gov/hansensdisease/dataandstatistics.html. Updated 2016. Accessed April 18, 2017.
US Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration National Hansen’s Disease Program. A summary of Hansen’s disease in the United States-2015. https://www.hrsa.gov/hansensdisease/pdfs/hansens2015report.pdf. Updated 2016. Accessed April 18, 2017.
Health Resources and Services Administration. National Hansen's disease (leprosy) program caring and curing since 1894. http://www.hrsa.gov/hansensdisease/. Updated nd. Accessed April 18, 2017.
- The difficulty in diagnosis and treatment of leprosy.J Travel Med. 2010; 17: 281-283https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8305.2010.00419.x
- Delayed diagnosis, leprosy reactions, and nerve injury among individuals with Hansen's disease seen at a United States clinic.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2016; 3: ofw063https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofw063
- Indigenous cases of leprosy (Hansen's disease) in southern Mississippi.J Miss State Med Assoc. 2015; 56: 188-191
- Indigenous Hansen’s disease cases diagnosed in Texas, 1960-1989; A descriptive case series.([master's thesis]) University of Texas Health Science Center School of Public Health, Houston, TX1991
- The diagnosis of leprosy is delayed in the United Kingdom.QJM. 2001; 94 (Accessed April 18, 2017): 207-212https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/94/4/207/1569211/The-diagnosis-of-leprosy-is-delayed-in-the-United
Scollard D, Stryjewska B. Epidemiology, microbiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of leprosy. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/treatment-and-prevention-of-leprosy#H310299817. Updated 2016. Accessed April 18, 2017.
- Case-control study of armadillo contact and Hansen’s disease.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008; 78: 962-967https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.2008.78.962
- Mycobaterium leprae (leprosy).in: 8th ed. Principles and Practices of Infectious Diseases. Vol 2. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, PA2015: 2819-2831
- Leprosy: an overview of pathophysiology.Interdiscip Perspect Infect Dis. 2012; 2012: 181089https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/181089
- Genomewide association study of leprosy.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 2609-2618https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0903753
- Leprosy and the human genome.Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2010; 74: 589-620https://doi.org/10.1128/MMBR.00025-10
- Probable zoonotic leprosy in the southern United States.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1626-1633https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1010536
- Range expansion and distributional limits of the nine-banded armadillo in the United States: an update of Taulman & Robbins (1996).J Biogeogr. 2014; 14: 1626-1630https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0068311
Moschella SL, Garcia-Albea V. Differential diagnosis of leprosy. In: Scollard DM, Gillis TP, eds. International Textbook of Leprosy. 2016. http://www.internationaltextbookofleprosy.org/chapter/differential-diagnosis-leprosy. Accessed July 2, 2017.
Health Resources and Services Administration. Skin biopsy in the diagnosis of Hansen's Disease. https://www.hrsa.gov/hansensdisease/diagnosis/biopsy.html Updated nd. Accessed April 18, 2017.
Health Resources and Services Administration. Preparation and examination of skin smears. https://www.hrsa.gov/hansensdisease/diagnosis/skinsmears.html. Updated 2008. Accessed April 18, 2017.
- Clinical management of leprosy reactions.Infect Dis Clin Pract. 2010; 18: 235-238https://doi.org/10.1097/IPC.0b013e3181deba2a
- Evaluation of multi-drug therapy for leprosy in the United States using daily rifampin.South Med J. 2011; 104: 689-694https://doi.org/10.1097/SMJ.0b013e31822d6014
- Corticosteroids for treating nerve damage in leprosy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 23: CD005491https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD005491.pub3
WHO. Leprosy elimination; WHO multidrug therapy (MDT). http://www.who.int/lep/mdt/en/. Updated 2016. Accessed April 18, 2017.
WHO. Leprosy elimination; WHO recommended MDT regimens. http://www.who.int/lep/mdt/regimens/en/. Updated 2016. Accessed April 18, 2017.
Health Resources and Services Administration National Hansen’s Disease Program. The national Hansen's disease museum. http://www.hrsa.gov/hansensdisease/museum/index.html. Accessed April 18, 2017.
- Risk of attack in leprosy in relation to age at exposure.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1944; 25 (Accessed April 18, 2017): 435-439
- Is it safe to treat the lepromatous patient at home? A study of home exposure to leprosy in Hong Kong.Int J Lepr Other Mycobact Dis. 1968; 36 (Accessed April 18, 2017): 296-302
- Leprosy among patient contacts: a multilevel study of risk factors.PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011; 5: e1013https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0001013
- Stigma in leprosy: concepts, causes and determinants.Lepr Rev. 2014; 85: 36-47https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0129086
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.