- •Testosterone replacement therapy can be delivered intramuscularly, nasally, buccally, and topically.
- •Transdermal testosterone is effective at regulating testosterone levels.
- •Depo-Testosterone promotes patient compliance, is safe, and is affordable.
- •Nurse practitioners should initiate testosterone replacement with Depo-Testosterone.
- Risks of testosterone replacement therapy in men.Indian J Urol. 2014; 30: 2-7
- Late-onset hypogonadism and testosterone replacement in older men.Clin Geriatr Med. 2015; 31: 631-644
- Testosterone and the cardiovascular system: a comprehensive review of the clinical literature.J Am Heart Assoc. 2013; 2: 1-22
- Long-term efficacy and safety of a permeation-enhanced testosterone transdermal system in hypogonadal men.Clin Endocrinol. 1997; 47: 727-737
- Testosterone supplementation for hypogonadal men by the nasal route.Aging Male. 2008; 11: 171-178
- Pharmacokinetics and tolerability of a bioadhesive buccal testosterone tablet in hypogonadal men.Eur J Endocrinol. 2004; 150: 57-63
- Long-term testosterone gel (Androgel) treatment maintains beneficial effects on sexual function and mood, lean and fat mass, and bone mineral density in hypogonadal men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 2085-2098
- New testosterone buccal system (Striant) delivers physiological testosterone levels: pharmacokinetics study in hypogonadal men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 3821-3829
- Short-term pharmacokinetic comparison of a novel testosterone buccal system and a testosterone gel in testosterone deficient men.Curr Med Res Opin. 2004; 20: 729-738
- Efficacy of changing testosterone gel preparations (Androgel or Testim) among suboptimally responsive hypogonadal men.Int J Impot Res. 2008; 20: 213-217
- A comparison of a novel testosterone bioadhesive buccal system, Striant, with a testosterone adhesive patch in hypogonadal males.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 2039-2043
- Comparison of the steady-state pharmacokinetics, metabolism and variability of a transdermal testosterone patch versus a transdermal testosterone gel in hypogonadal men.J Sex Med. 2005; 2: 213-226
- AA2500 testosterone gel normalizes androgen levels in aging males with improvements in body composition and sexual function.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 88: 2673-2681
- Testosterone therapy in adult men with androgen deficiency syndromes: an Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 2536-2559
- Testosterone deficiency syndrome: Benefits, risks, and realities associated with testosterone replacement therapy.Can J Urol. 2016; 23: 20-30
GoodRx.com. Stop paying too much for your prescriptions. 2016. http://www.goodrx.com. Accessed December 19, 2016.
Snyder PJ. Testosterone treatment of male hypogonadism. In: Matsumoto M, Martin KA, eds. UpToDate. 2016. www.uptodate.com. Accessed May 12, 2016.
- Epocrates Premium Version. Epocrates, Inc, San Mateo, CA2016
Food and Drug Administration. [email protected] : FDA approved drug products. 2016. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/. Accessed May 12, 2016.
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. Testosterone enanthate injection. 2014. http://www.ashp.org/menu/DrugShortages/CurrentShortages/Bulletin.aspx?id=1045. Accessed January 22, 2017.
Drugs.com. Drug price information. 2016. https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/. Accessed January 22, 2017.
- Systematic review of the associations between dose regimens and medication compliance.Clin Ther. 2001; 23: 1296-1310
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.