- •There are many new terms pertaining to the transgender patient that the provider needs to understand in order to provide culturally sensitive and competent care.
- •Transgender is a process that a person may choose to embark on; this includes counseling, hormone therapy, and/or surgery.
- •Hormone therapy may impact primary care, affecting how the practitioner cares for their patient.
- •Regular monitoring of the transgender patient is imperative for quality care. The provider must be aware of the implications of hormone therapy and adapt their care as needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal for Nurse Practitioners
- Barriers to quality health care for the transgender population.Clin Biochem. 2014; 47: 983-987
US Department of Health and Human Services. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. 2015. Healthy People 2020. http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/lesbian-gay-bisexual-and-transgender-health/. Accessed June 10, 2015.
- Improving health care encounters and communication with transgender patients.Redfern Strategic Medical Communications, Goshen, NY2014
Healthy People 2020. Transgender health factsheet. 2010. http://www.lgbttobacco.org/files/TransgenderHealthFact.pdf/. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.5th ed. American Psychiatric Publishing, Arlington, Va2013
Gay Alliance. A glossary of terms associated with the LGBTQ communities. 2013. www.gayalliance.org/. Accessed September 20, 2014.
- Transgender identity and health care: implications for psychosocial and physical evaluation.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2011; 23: 175-182
- Assessment and management of female-to-male transgender patients: a psychosocial and hormonal approach.Am J Nurse Pract. 2012; 16: 6-14
Gay Alliance. Trans-basics. www.gayalliance.org/. Accessed September 29, 2014.
- Standards of care for the health of transsexual, transgender, and gender-nonconforming people, version 7.Int J Transgenderism. 2012; 13: 165-232
- Hormonal management of the female-to-male transgender patient.J Midwif Womens Health. 2011; 56: 293-302
- Progress on the road to better medical care for transgender patients.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2013; 20: 553-558
- Breast imaging in the transgender patient.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014; 202: 1149-1156
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.