- •Postgraduate nurse practitioner (NP) programs are rapidly growing across the United States.
- •NPs from 30 states and the District of Columbia completed a job satisfaction survey.
- •NPs with postgraduate education were compared with NPs without postgraduate education.
- •Satisfaction scores, years of experience, and regulatory environments were analyzed.
- •Postgraduate education has a significant positive impact on NP job satisfaction.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal for Nurse Practitioners
Institute of Medicine. The future of nursing: leading change, advancing health. 2011. http://iom.nationalacademies.org/Reports/2010/The-Future-of-Nursing-Leading-Change-Advancing-Health.aspx. Accessed September 8, 2014.
American Association of Nurse Practitioners. The NP roundtable's discussion paper on NP education and post-graduate training. Updated 2013. http://www.aanp.org/component/content/article/82-legislation-regulation/policy-toolbox/np-policy-essentials/445-aanp-and-the-np-roundtable-joint-statements/. Accessed September 12, 2014.
- Postgraduate nurse practitioner residency programs: supporting transition to practice.Acad Med. 2015; 90: 707-709
- From new nurse practitioner to primary care provider: bridging the transition through FQHC-based residency training.Online J Issues Nurs. 2011; 17: 6
- Veteran affairs centers of excellence in primary care education: transforming nurse practitioner education.Nurs Outlook. 2014; 62: 78-88
- Pioneering a primary care adult nurse practitioner interprofessional fellowship.J Nurse Pract. 2014; 10: 378-386
- Reflections of the Veterans Administration Puget Sound Health Care System regional nurse practitioner residency forum.Nurs Forum. 2015; (Published online ahead of print)
- A nurse practitioner residency pilot program: a journey of learning.J Nurs Admin. 2011; 41: 382-387
- Bridging the gap between acute care nurse practitioner education and practice: the need for postgraduate residency programs.J Nurse Pract. 2014; 10: 331-335
- The lifecycle of the advanced clinical practitioner.Nurse Leader. 2015; 13: 27-30
- Bahouth M.N. Blum K. Simone S. Transitioning into Hospital-based Practice: A Guide for Nurse Practitioners and Administrators. Springer, New York2013
- Postgraduate nurse practitioner training.J Nurs Admin. 2014; 44: 625-627
- Advanced practice nurse outcomes 1990-2008: a systematic review.Nurs Econ. 2011; 29 (quiz 251): 230-250
- Transitioning into the nurse practitioner role through mentorship.J Prof Nurs. 2011; 27: 161-167
- Development of the misener nurse practitioner job satisfaction scale.J Nurs Meas. 2001; 9: 91-108
- Internet, Phone, Mail, and Mixed-mode Surveys: The Tailored Design Method.4th ed. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ2014
American Association of Nurse Practitioners. State practice environment. Updated March 3, 2015. http://www.aanp.org/legislation-regulation/state-legislation-regulation/state-practice-environment/. Accessed May 5, 2015.
- Nurse practitioner job satisfaction: looking for successful outcomes.J Clin Nurs. 2013; 22: 2593-2604
- Job satisfaction and perceived autonomy for nurse practitioners working in nurse-managed health centers.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2013; 25: 213-221
- Job satisfaction among Arizona adult nurse practitioners.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2007; 19: 30-34
- Likert scales: how to (ab)use them.Med Educ. 2004; 38: 1217-1218
- Parametric statistics and ordinal data: a pervasive misconception.Nurs Res. 1981; 30: 60-62
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.