- •The group visit setting provides a unique opportunity for peer support and a healing community among chronically ill patients.
- •Health coaching can strengthen nurse practitioner–led group visits by enhancing peer support through an interdisciplinary approach.
- •There are barriers to implement the effective health coaching in a group visit setting regarding reimbursement, extra cost to hire health coach, no regulations for standardized qualifications of health coaches, and others.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Anderson GF. Chronic care: making the case for ongoing care. Princeton, NJ: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation web site. http://www.rwjf.org/en/research-publications/find-rwjf-research/2010/02/chronic-care.html. Updated February 10, 2013. Accessed December 15, 2013.
- Hamric A.B. Spross J.A. Hanson C.M. Advanced Practice Nurses. 4th ed. Expert Coaching and Guidance; No. 6. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA2008
- Patient-centered performance Management: Enhancing Value for Patients and Health Care Systems.JAMA. 2013; 310: 137-138
- National prevention strategy.US Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General, Washington, DC2011
- Health coaching for patients with chronic illness.Fam Pract Manag. 2010; 17: 24-29
- Behavior changes in patients with diabetes and hypertension after experiencing shared medical appointments.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2012; 24: 43-51
The MacColl Center For Health Care Innovation. The chronic care model. Improving Chronic Illness Care website. http://www.improvingchroniccare.org/index.php?p¼The_Chronic_Care_Model&s¼2. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- The promise of group medical visits.Nurse Pract. 2013; 38: 48-53
- Use of chronic care model elements is associated with higher-quality care for diabetes.Ann Fam Med. 2007; 5: 14-20
- Nurse practitioner-led multidisciplinary teams to improve chronic illness care: the unique strengths of nurse practitioners applied to shared medical appointments/group visits.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2009; 21: 167-172
- Group visits hold great potential for improving diabetes care and outcomes, but best practices must be developed.Health Aff (Millwood). 2012; 31: 103-109
- Diabetes group visits: integrated medical care and behavioral support to improve diabetes care and outcomes from a primary care perspective.Curr Diab Rep. 2013; 13: 177-187
Eisenstat SP, Ulman K, Siegel AL, Carlson K. Putting group visits into practice: a practical overviews to preparation, implementation, and maintenance of group visits at Massachusetts General Hospital. http://www.massgeneral.org/Q3 stoecklecenter/assets/pdf/group_visit_guide.pdf. 2012. Accessed September 21, 2015.
- Group visits for chronic illness care: models, benefits and challenges.Fam Pract Manag. 2006; 13: 37-40
- Group visits for chronic illness management: implementation challenges and recommendations.Nurs Econ. 2014; 32: 118
Koppel P. Integrative health coaching & support services. Age-Well-Be-Well website. http://www.age-well-be-well.com/support-services/. Updated September 14, 2014. Accessed September 21, 2015.
- Complexity and health coaching: synergies in nursing.Nurs Res Pract. 2013; 2013: 238620
- Nursing: Concepts of Practice.CV Mosby, St Louis, MO1995
- The “Health Coaching” programme: a new patient-centred and visually supported approach for health behaviour change in primary care.BMC Fam Pract. 2013; 14: 100
- Motivational interviewing-based health coaching as a chronic care intervention.J Eval Clin Pract. 2010; 16: 166-174
NP Competencies: 2012 Nurse Practitioner Core Competencies. The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) website. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/nonpf.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/Competencies/NPCoreComps ContentFinalNov20.pdf. Accessed November 5, 2015.
- Integrative health coaching and motivational interviewing: synergistic approaches to behavior change in healthcare.Glob Adv Health Med. 2013; 2: 28-35
- Integrative health coach training: a model for shifting the paradigm toward patient-centricity and meeting new national prevention goals.Global Adv Health Med. 2013; 2: 66-74
National Coverage Determination (NCD) for Intensive Behavioral Therapy for Cardiovascular Disease (210.11). Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services website. https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/ncd -details.aspx?NCDId¼348&ncdver¼1&CoverageSelection¼Both&Article Type¼All&PolicyType¼Final&s¼All&KeyWord¼CardiovascularþDisease& KeyWordLookUp¼Title&KeyWordSearchType¼And&bc¼gAAAABAAAAAA. Updated November 2011. Accessed September 25, 2015.
- Introducing the health coach at a primary care practice: impact on quality and cost (Part 1).Hosp Top. 2011; 89: 16-22
- Teaching motivational interviewing to nurse practitioner students: a pilot study.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2014; 26: 131-135
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.