- •Self-management of oral anticoagulant therapy is INR self-testing and warfarin self-dosing.
- •Self-management of oral anticoagulant therapy is recommended by the American College of Clinical Pharmacy.
- •Self-management of warfarin was as effective as provider management.
- •Self-management promotes patient engagement in behaviors that reduce the impact of their disease.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Self-monitoring and self-management of anticoagulant therapy.Am Fam Physician. 2011; 84: 266-268
- Executive summary: Antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2012; 141: 7S-47S
- Self-monitoring of oral anticoagulation: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data.Lancet. 2012; 379: 322-334
- Self-monitoring and self-management of oral anticoagulation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; : CD003839
- A structured teaching and self-management program for patients receiving oral anticoagulation: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 1999; 281: 145
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Medicare coverage database. Decision memo for prothrombin time (INR) monitor for home. :1-25. http://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/nca-decision-memo.aspx?NCAId =72&NcaName =Prothrombin+Time+%28INR%29+Monitor+for+Home+Anticoagulation+Management&NCDId =269&ncdver =2&IsPopup =y&bc =AAAAAAAAEAAA&/.
- Understanding the pharmacogenetic approach to warfarin dosing.Heart Fail Rev. 2010; 15: 239-248
- A randomised controlled trial of patient self management of oral anticoagulation treatment compared with primary care management.J Clin Pathol. 2002; 55: 845-849
- Løkkebø ES, Kristoffersen AH, Stavelin AV, Binder S, Sandberg S. Self-management of warfarin therapy.Tidsskr Nor Lægeforen. 2015; 135: 849-853
- Comparing self-management of oral anticoagulant therapy with clinic management: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 142: 1-10
- Oral anticoagulation self-management and management by a specialist anticoagulation clinic: a randomised cross-over comparison.Lancet. 2000; 356: 97-102
- Self- versus conventional management of oral anticoagulant therapy.Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2007; 7: 191-197
- A randomised control trial of patient self-management of oral anticoagulation compared with patient self-testing.Br J Haematol. 2006; 132: 598-603
- Meta-analysis: effect of patient self-testing and self-management of long-term anticoagulation on major clinical outcomes.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 154: 472-482
- Patient self-management of oral anticoagulant care vs. management by specialized anticoagulation clinics: positive effects on quality of life.J Thromb Haemost. 2004; 2: 584-591
- Self-management of oral anticoagulation reduces major outcomes in the elderly. A randomized controlled trial.Thromb Haemost. 2008; 100: 1089-1098
- Self-monitoring of oral anticoagulation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2006; 367: 404-411
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.