- •Overview of the current biosimilar landscape to enable nurse practitioners to appropriately prescribe, educate patients, and prepare their organizations and clinical colleagues for this new product class.
- •Proactive discussion of practical scenarios concerning biosimilars and their substitutability for reference biologics that nurse practitioners will be faced with in the near future.
- •Review of the potential clinical, legal, and operational implications of the differences between generic drugs and interchangeable biosimilars and between interchangeable biosimilars and reference biologics.
- •Strategies for continued education for appropriate and safe use of biosimilars.
- •Understanding of the potential impact on patient access to treatment and cost savings to both patients and health care organizations.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- From “blockbusters” to “biosimilars”: an opportunity for patients, medical specialists and health care providers.Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 25: 483-486
The cost savings potential of biosimilar drugs in the United States. The Rand Corporation. http://www.rand.org/pubs/perspectives/PE127.html. Accessed May 3, 2015.
EvaluatePharma. Budget busters: the shift to high-priced innovator drugs in the U.S.A. http://www.info.evaluategroup.com/rs/evaluatepharmaltd/images/SV2014.pdf.html. Accessed July 27, 2015.
Credit Suisse PharmaValues Estimates. Credit Suisse Forecasts 2016 Top 10 Drugs. Available at http://research-and-analytics.csfb.com/pharmavalues_fp/. Accessed September 20, 2015.
Rader RA. Biosimilars in the rest of the world: Developments in lesser-developed countries. BioProcess J. 2013/2014 (Winter):41-47.
First biosimilar insulin, glargine, approved in EU. Medscape. September 10, 2014. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/831441_print. Accessed July 27, 2015.
- Comparison of regulatory pathways for biosimilars- with special emphasis on HK/China, US, and Europe.in: Biotechnology in Hong Kong. Vol. 2. China Intellectual Property Institute, Whitestone, NY2015: 257
The Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act. P.L. 111-148. March 23, 2010. http://www.gpo/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-222pub/148/pdf. Accessed July 27, 2015.
- Special report. Understanding key differences between biosimilars and small molecule generics.Pharm Pract News. 2013; 40: 1-8
- National trends in prescription drug expenditures and projections for 2014.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2014; 71 (Accessed August 17, 2015): e6-e23
- Cost Estimate of the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act. Congressional Budget Office, Washington, DCJune 25, 2008
- Novartis can sell copycat of Amgen’s Neupogen in September, court rules.The Wall Street Journal. July 21, 2015; (Accessed July 22, 2015)
- Bioequivalence Studies With Pharmacokinetic Endpoints for Drugs Submitted Under an ANDA. Guidance for Industry. Food and Drug Administration, Silver SpringDecember 2013
- Biosimilars: Questions and Answers Regarding Implementation of the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009. Guidance for Industry. Food and Drug Administration, Silver SpringApril 2015
- Quality Considerations in Demonstrating Biosimilarity to a Reference Protein Product. Guidance for Industry. Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MDApril 2015
- Scientific Considerations in Demonstrating Biosimilarity to a Reference Product. Guidance for Industry. Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MDApril 2015
- Biosimilars: Additional Questions and Answers Regarding Implementation of the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009. Guidance for Industry. Food and Drug Administration, Silver Spring, MDMay 2015
Information for Healthcare Professionals (Biosimilars). Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/HowDrugsareDevelopedandApproved/ApprovalApplications/TherapeuticBiologicApplications/Biosimilars/. Accessed July 27, 2015.
Q5E comparability of biotechnological/biological products subject to changes in their manufacturing process. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm073476.pdf. Accessed July 27, 2015.
- Acceptable changes in quality attributes of glycosylated biopharmaceuticals.Nat Biotechnol. 2011; 29: 310-312
CASSS CMC Strategy Forum: Biosimilar Products: Scientific Principles, Challenges, Opportunities. January 22, 2012. San Francisco, CA.
- Physicochemical and functional comparability between the proposed biosimilar rituximab 6P2013 and originator rituximab.BioDrugs. 2013; 27: 495-507
- Comparability of biosimilar filgrastim with originator filgrastim: protein characterization, pharmacodynamics, and pharmacokinetics.BioDrugs. 2015; 29: 123-131
- The regulatory framework of biosimilars in the European Union.Drug Discov Today. 2012; 17: 63-70
- Biosimilars ramp-up: five themes for the future.Pharm Exec. 2015; 34 (Accessed July 27, 2015): 1-5
- Biosimilars 101: considerations for U.S. oncologists in clinical practice.Cancer Med. 2014; 3: 889-899
- Immunogenicity of biotherapeutics in the context of developing biosimilars and biobetters.Drug Dis. 2011; 16: 345-353
- Epoetin biosimilars in Europe: five years on.Adv Ther. 2013; 30: 28-40
Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy. AMCP launches biosimilars task force to show safety and efficacy. http://www.amcp.org/media/press_releases/2013/10_17_13/. Accessed June 20, 2015.
- AMCP Task Force on Biosimilar Collective Intelligence Systems. Utilizing data corsortia to monitor safety and effectiveness of biosimilars and their innovator products.J Manag Care Pharm. 2015; 21: 23-34
Saltonstall PL. Letter to Commissioner Margaret A. Hamburg re National Organization for Rare Disorder (NORD) and the adoption of distinguishable names for biologics. June 3, 2014. http://rarediseases.org/advocacy/policystatements/NORDSupportsSeparateNamingforBiosimilars.pdf. Accessed May 8, 2015.
World Health Organization. Biological qualifier, an INN proposal. http://who.int/medicines/services/inn/bq_innproposal201407.pdf. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Expert Q&A: entering the new era of biosimilars.Pharm Pract News. 2015; 42: 24
- Efficacy of biosimilar granulocyte colony-stimulating factor versus originator granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in peripheral blood stem mobilization in de novo multiple myeloma patients.Cytotherapy. 2015; 17: 1485-1493
National Conference of State Legislators. State laws and legislation related to biologic medications and substitution of biosimilars. http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-laws-and-legislation-related-to-biologic-medications-and-substitution-of-biosimilars.aspx. Accessed July 27, 2015.
- Coverage for high cost specialty drugs for rheumatoid arthritis in Medicare Part D.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015; 67: 1474-1480
- Pharmacist, patient education needed as first biosimilar enters the marketplace.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2012; 52: 458
- Evaluating biosimilars for formulary inclusion.Pharm Purchas Products. 2014; 11 (32, 35-36, 38)
Deutsche Vereinigung fur Finanzanalyse und Asset Management (DVFA), Frankfurt, Germany. Available at http://www.dvfa.de/fileadmin/downloads/Publikationen/Fachbuecher/dvfa_biosimilars_2010.pdf. Accessed September 20, 2015.
Palmer E. Deep discounts allow Remicade biosimilar to grab 50% of Norway’s market. http://fiercepharma.com/story/deep-discounts-allow-remicade-biosimilar-grab-50-norways-market/2015-04-22. Accessed May 14, 2015.
- Comparative cost-efficacy across the European G5 countries of various regimens of filgrastim, biosimilar filgrastim, and pegfilgrastim to reduce the incidence of chemotherapy-induced febrile neutropenia.J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2011; 18: 171-179
Kraus A, Scherb E, Doebler S. CMS releases new reimbursement guidance for biosimilars. http://natlawreview.com/article/cms-releases-new-reimbursement-guidance-biosimilars. Accessed May 14, 2015.
EMD Serono Specialty Digest: Managed Care Strategies for Specialty Pharmaceuticals. 8th ed. Darmstadt, Germany: Merck KGaA.
NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines). Myeloid growth factors, version 2/2014. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed August 20, 2015.
- NCCN Biosimilars White Paper: regulatory, scientific, and patient safety perspective.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2011; 9: S1-S22
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.