- •According to the National Sample Survey of Nurse Practitioners 48,000 NPs provide specialty care.
- •The AAMC anticipates an insufficient number of specialty physicians by 2025.
- •APNs in specialty care will grow 141% by 2025 compared to physician growth, estimated at 21%.
- •The nurse practitioner workforce continues to respond to changing needs in the healthcare market.
- •Nurse practitioners will be a growing source of specialty care clinicians in the future.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The evolution of the role of nurses: the history of nurse practitioners in pediatric oncology.J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2005; 22: 250-253
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. Discussion paper: Doctor of nursing practice. 2015. http://www.aanp.org/images/documents/publications/doctorofnursingpractice.pdf/. Accessed June 10, 2015.
- Practice patterns and characteristics of nurse practitioners in the United States: results from the 2012 National Sample Survey of Nurse Practitioners.J Nurse Pract. 2015; 11: 170-177
- Primary care outcomes in patients treated by nurse practitioners or physicians.JAMA. 2000; 283: 59-68
- Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;
- Nurse practitioners' and physicians' views of nps as providers of primary care to veterans.J Nurs Scholarship. 2007; 39: 358-362
- Physician assistants and nurse practitioners as a usual source of care.J Rural Health. 2009; 25: 8
- Physician workforce shortages: implications and issues for academic health centers and policymakers.Acad Med. 2006; 81: 6
- The role of nurse practitioners in reinventing primary care.Health Affairs. 2010; 29: 893-899
- Highlights from the 2012 National Sample Survey of Nurse Practitioners.US Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Md2014
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. American Academy of Nurse Practitioners national NP database. 2014. http://www.aanp.org/research/reports. Accessed May 25, 2015.
- Non Primary Care Specialty and Subspecialty Clinician Supply Projections to 2025.US Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Md2014
- Is There a Doctor in the House?: Market Signals and Today's Supply of Doctors.Stanford University, Stanford, Calif2008
Hamblin J. What doctors make. 2015. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/physician-salaries/384846/. Accessed June 10, 2015.
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, nurse practitioner compensation survey, 2015. http://www.aanp.org/education/student-resource-center/starting-your-career/1059-2011-np-compensation-survey/. Accessed June 10, 2015.
- The Complexities of Physician Supply and Demand: Projections from 2013 to 2025.Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC2015
- The Next Four Decades: the Older Population in the United States: 2010 to 2050.US Census Bureau, Washington, DC2010
Dall T, for the Lewin Group. Physician Supply and Demand: Projections to 2020. 2006. http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/supplydemand/medicine/physician2020projections.pdf. Accessed April 7, 2015.
- Healthcare in America: Trends in Utilization.National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Md2003
- Broadening the scope of nursing practice.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 193-196
- Will the NP workforce grow in the future?.Med Care. 2012; 50: 5
- How does provider supply and regulation influence health care markets? Evidence from nurse practitioners and physician assistants.J Health Econ. 2014; 33: 1-27
- Postgraduate nurse practitioner residency programs: supporting transition to practice.Acad Med. 2015; 90: 707-709
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest