- •Four hundred fifty-three preceptors across multiple settings identified incentives and barriers to precepting.
- •Leading incentives to precept are credit toward recertification, program information, and remuneration.
- •Leading barriers identified by preceptors are time constraints and productivity demands.
- •Preceptors were influenced by professional obligation; learning opportunities as a preceptor; and a prior relationship with the faculty, school, or student.
- •Past studies have not identified remuneration as an incentive, reflecting a change in attitudes toward precepting as a volunteer role.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Education policy initiatives to address the nurse shortage in the United States.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: 646
- Nurse practitioners as an underutilized resource for health reform: evidence-based demonstrations of cost-effectiveness.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2010; 22: 228-231
- The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
Dower C, O'Neil E. Primary care health workforce in the United States. Synth Proj Res Synth Rep. 2011 Jul;(22). pii: 72579. doi: 72579. Epub 2011 Jul 1.
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. CCNE-accredited master's nursing degree programs. http://directory.ccnecommunity.org/reports/rptAccreditedPrograms_New.asp?sort=institution&sProgramType=2. 2014. Accessed July 7, 2015.
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. 2013 Annual Report. https://www.aacn.nche.edu/aacn-publications/annual-reports/AnnualReport13.pdf. 2013. Accessed July 7, 2015.
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. New AACN data show an enrollment surge in baccalaureate and graduate programs amid calls for more highly educated nurses. http://www.aacn.nche.edu/news/articles/2012/enrollment-data. 2012. Accessed July 7, 2015.
- How many relative value units should an NP produce?.J Nurse Pract. 2013; 9: 470-472
- Survey of advanced practice student clinical preceptors.J Nurs Educ. 2013; 52: 253-258
- Becoming a super preceptor: a practical guide to preceptorship in today's clinical climate.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2010; 22: 144-149
- Preceptor rewards: how to say thank you for mentoring the next generation of nurse practitioners.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2007; 19: 24-29
- Strategies to prepare and support preceptors and students for preceptorship: a systematic review.Nurse Educ. 2010; 35: 98-100
- The pleasure of your company: attitudes and opinions of preceptors toward nurse practitioner preceptees.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2000; 12: 360-363
- Primary care providers' views of precepting nurse practitioner.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2007; 13: 237-240
- Rural clinician opinion on being a preceptor.Rural Remote Health. 2006; 6: 490
- Supporting and retaining preceptors for NNP programs: results from a survey of NNP preceptors and program directors.J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2009; 23: 284-292
- Preceptor expectations and issues with nurse practitioner clinical rotations.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2010; 22: 573-579
- Supporting preceptors: a three-pronged approach for success.J Contin Educ Nurs. 2009; 40: 509-513
- Amos 17.0 user’s guide.([computer program]) SPSS Incorporated, 2008
American Nurses Credentialing Center. Certification renewal requirements. http://www.nursecredentialing.org/RenewalRequirements.aspx. 2014. Accessed July 7, 2015.
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. Recertification frequently asked questions. http://www.aanpcert.org/ptistore/control/recert/recert_faq, 2015. 2015. Accessed July 7, 2015.
- Re-envisioning clinical education for nurse practitioner programs: themes from a national leaders’ dialogue.J Prof Nurs. 2014; 30: 273-278
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.