- •Fall risk screening, assessment, and intervention can prevent falls.
- •Nurse practitioners (NPs) were more likely than other PCPs to screen for fall risk at each wellness visit.
- •Less than half of providers reported using standardized fall-risk assessment tests.
- •Less than 16% of NPs use the Beers Criteria when prescribing medications.
- •Enhanced fall prevention training could improve patient care and health outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Projections of the size and composition of the US population: 2014 to 2060. Current Population Reports (P25-1143).US Census Bureau, Washington, DC2014
- Recent trends in chronic disease, impairment and disability among older adults in the United States.BMC Geriatr. 2011; 11: 47
- Changes in prescription and over-the-counter medication and dietary supplement use among older adults in the United States, 2005 vs 2011.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 473-482
- Falls and fall injuries among adults aged >/=65 years—United States, 2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 993-998
- Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting WISQARS: Nonfatal injury data. 2019.https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/index.htmlDate accessed: May 13, 2019
- Geriatric education in the health professions: are we making progress?.Gerontologist. 2012; 52: 607-618
- Gerontology and geriatric issues and trends in U.S. nursing programs: a national survey.J Profess Nurs. 2007; 23: 21-29
- Adoption of evidence-based fall prevention practices in primary care for older adults with a history of falls.Front Public Health. 2016; 4: 190
- Fall-risk assessment and management in clinical practice: views from healthcare providers.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1522-1526
- Primary care physicians perceptions and practices regarding fall prevention in adult's 65 years and over.Accid Anal Prev. 2011; 43: 1605-1609
- Perceptions of physicians on the barriers and facilitators to integrating fall risk evaluation and management into practice.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 117-122
- The quality of medical care provided to vulnerable community-dwelling older patients.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 139: 740-747
- Perceptions of health professionals about effective practice in falls prevention.Disabil Rehabil. 2009; 31: 2005-2012
- Primary care providers’ discussion of fall prevention approaches with their older adult patients—DocStyles, 2014.Prev Med Rep. 2018; 9: 149-152
- Nurse practitioners: A solution to America’s primary care crisis.American Enterprise Institute, 2018https://www.aei.org/research-products/report/nurse-practitioners-a-solution-to-americas-primary-care-crisis/Date accessed: August 28, 2019
- Rethinking the primary care workforce—an expanded role for nurses.New Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1015-1017
- Porter Novelli Public Services.https://www.porternovelli.com/Date accessed: May 13, 2019
- SERMO Global Market Research Company.https://www.sermo.com/Date accessed: May 13, 2019
- Nurses’ roles in health promotion practice: an integrative review.Health Promot Int. 2012; 28: 490-501
- Nurse practitioner core competencies with suggested curriculum conten—2017.https://www.nonpf.org/page/14Date accessed: August 28, 2019
- org. Nurse practitioners overview.National Conference of State Legislature, 2019http://scopeofpracticepolicy.org/practitioners/nurse-practitioners/Date accessed: August 28, 2019
- Gender differences in seeking care for falls in the aged medicare population.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 59-62
- Summary of the updated American Geriatrics Society/British Geriatrics Society clinical practice guideline for prevention of falls in older persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 148-157
- Your Medicare coverage: yearly “wellness” visits. Medicare.gov. 2019.https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/yearly-wellness-visitsDate accessed: August 28, 2019
- Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 9: CD007146
- Multifactorial and functional mobility assessment tools for fall risk among older adults in community, home-support, long-term and acute care settings.Age Ageing. 2007; 36: 130-139
- Performance-based clinical tests of balance and muscle strength used in young seniors: a systematic literature review.BMC Geriatr. 2019; 19: 9
- A 30-s chair-stand test as a measure of lower body strength in community-residing older adults.Res Q Exerc Sport. 1999; 70: 113-119
- The relevance of clinical balance assessment tools to differentiate balance deficits.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2010; 46: 239-248
- Predicting the probability for falls in community-dwelling older adults using the Timed Up & Go Test.Phys Ther. 2000; 80: 896-903
- The de morton mobility index: normative data for a clinically useful mobility instrument.J Aging Res. 2012; 2012: 7
- A cross-sectional validation study of the FICSIT common data base static balance measures. Frailty and Injuries: Cooperative Studies of Intervention Techniques.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1995; 50 (M291-297)
- A Systematic Review of Thirty-One Assessment Tests to Evaluate Mobility in Older Adults.Biomed Res Int. 2019; 2019: 1354362
- Validity and reliability of measurement instruments used in research.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2008; 65: 2276-2284
- Ensuring a nurse practitioner workforce prepared to care for older adults: findings from a national survey of adult and geriatric nurse practitioner programs.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2012; 24: 193-199
- Assessing emergency nurses’ geriatric knowledge and perceptions of their geriatric care.J Emerg Nurs. 2011; 37: 132-137
- Recommended Baccalaureate Competencies and Curricular Guidelines for the Nursing Care of Older Adults: A Supplement to The Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice.Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing/New York University College of Nursing, 2010http://catch-on.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/AACN_Gerocompetencies.pdfDate accessed: August 28, 2019
- American Geriatrics Society 2019 updated AGS Beer Criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 674-694
- An interdisciplinary academic detailing approach to decrease inappropriate medication prescribing by physician residents for older veterans treated in the emergency department.J Pharm Pract. 2019; 32: 167-174
- Potentially inappropriate prescribing in elderly: assessing doctor knowledge, confidence and barriers.J Eval Clin Pract. 2011; 17: 1153-1159
- US pharmacists’ effect as team members on patient care: systematic review and meta-analyses.Med Care. 2010; 48: 923-933
- Improving patient and health system outcomes through advanced pharmacy practice.(Report to the U.S. Surgeon General, Office of the Chief Pharmacist) U.S. Public Health Service, December2011
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest except for the following disclaimer: This work was made possible through a cooperative agreement between the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) award no. 1 NU36OE000009-01-00. The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of AACN or CDC.